Using An Essential Oil Humidifier
The use of an essential oil humidifier provides one of the best methods of getting the powerful benefits of essential oils into your body in a passive manner. Otherwise known as an essential oil diffuser, cool mist humidifiers work by carrying the tiny essential oil molecules into the air on the moisture. The mist spreads out into the air where you then breathe it into your body and it eventually enters your bloodstream.
Why Use an Essential Oil Humidifier?
While topical application of essential oils also works well in many situations, using an essential oil humidifier allows you to run a mist into your household where your family breathes it in, without having to do anything else. It’s extremely convenient and simple, and can affect more than one person at a time. In addition, using an essential oil humidifier provides moisture in the air which can be great for the skin, particularly in winter. And it allows the scent of the essential oils to have a beneficial effect on the aroma of any room.
What Types of Essential Oil Humidifiers Are There?
Although there are essential oil humidifiers that look very different from one another and have different functions, the most common electric essential oil humidifiers use a cool mist. This is important because any sort of heat can affect the integrity of the essential oils in a detrimental way, causing the oils to be much less effective. Using a cool mist humidifier allows the essential oils to maintain their high quality while diffusing them into the air.
Most Cool Mist Humidifiers use ultrasonic technology to distribute the moisture, along with the essential oils, into the air. Ultrasonic technology allows the mist to be distributed into the air in an extremely quiet manner, which is particularly effective for use during sleep or work.
There are some essential oil diffusers on the market that use heat to create steam and send the mist into the air. This can also be done on top of the stove, simply by adding a few drops of essential oil to boiling water and letting the steam mist into the air. In a pinch this will probably work for you, but it is certainly not as effective as a cool mist essential oil humidifier because it is stuck in the kitchen with you, it may degrade the quality of the oils from the heat, and the water may run out so there could be some safety issues involved.
How Does an Essential Oil Humidifier Work?
The most popular, effective, and convenient essential oil humidifiers are simple and easily transportable. The units typically have a basin which holds water—tap water is perfect so there’s no need to spend extra money on distilled or filtered water. Once you’ve filled the basin per the manufacturer’s instructions, you simply add a few drops of essential oil and place the lid on securely. Plug in the unit, and turn in on. It’s simple.
Various Essential Oil Humidifier Features
Essential oil humidifiers are made in a variety of shapes, sizes, and colors which make it easy to find one that fits your particular preferences for use. Some of the features and benefits from various units are:
- LED light features which may be solid, change to various colors, or be turned off during use. Some come with only one color while others may have up to seven color options.
- Intermittent or continuous mist is another feature of many essential oil diffusers. Units may feature various settings for the strength of the mist, often with an intermittent or steady stream setting.
- Cool mist humidifiers may be smaller and convenient for travel, while others are larger and last for many hours at a time. Units that give off steam for over 6 hours may not smell as strong later because the essential oils will often lose their effectiveness after so many hours. But the humidifier portion will continue to work until the water in the basin runs dry.
- One important feature for essential oil diffusers is making sure that it has an automatic shut off. This provides convenience as well as safety.
- Most essential oil humidifiers come in white, but they are made in other colors as well, such as black or faux wood finish. They are almost always made of plastic which keeps the unit from corroding. The way the diffusers look has very much to do with personal preference and the décor of the room where you are wanting to use it.
An essential oil humidifier is on the top of the must-have list for those who want to use essential oils to improve the health of themselves and their families. Once you have a cool mist humidifier for use with your essential oils, you’ll fall in love with it and wonder how you ever were able to function without it in your life!
Tags: How Does an Essential Oil Humidifier Work?, Using An Essential Oil Humidifier, Various Essential Oil Humidifier Features, What Types of Essential Oil Humidifiers Are There?, Why Use an Essential Oil Humidifier?
Categorised in: Blog